Many of us navigate the world blinded by short-term rewards. But, when we look past the adrenaline rush of instant gratification, there is real value in a long-term, long game strategy.
It is easy to look around, especially on social media, and think, “they make it look so easy.” As if everything we see happened “overnight.” But, in truth, we’re only seeing the highlight reel.
As humans, we often push ourselves beyond our limits—constantly rushing through life, with our heads down, focused on the next thing, and the next. Never taking a moment to stop, look up, and take a deep breath.
It’s so easy to fall into the traps of our comfort zone. And while we might be thinking about the future, the question is whether or not it’s productive. Are we moving forward? Or, are we just in a constant feedback loop of “shoulda, woulda, coulda.”
Authenticity can’t be faked, especially if you want to build confidence and trust. It’s one thing to have faith that “everything will work out in the end.” It’s another thing entirely to commit to a decision and take inspired action to achieve your goals.
Sometimes, it takes a little something extra. Call it “digging in a little deeper,” or “connecting with your higher self,” there is something to be said for going inward and being brutally honest with yourself about your goals.
Long Game Strategy—A Marathon, Not a Sprint
If you’ve ever spent time with someone training for a marathon, you are aware of the amount of preparation needed. Between time for long and short training runs, rest and recovery, meals, rehydration, and eventually the marathon itself, it’s a lot of planning and work.
The time it takes to see results depends on many factors, and success may take longer than we desire. It’s important to temper expectations.
And just like training for a marathon, success at anything we strive for requires patience, consistency, commitment, discipline, and perseverance.
Expect to wait longer for results if your goals are ambitious. The key is to be patient and stay the course.
3 Benefits of a Long Game Strategy to Create a Life You Love
- One of the benefits of playing a long-game strategy is that doing so gives you the benefit of taking a step back and seeing the bigger picture.
- Remember the adage, “don’t sweat the small stuff.” With the mindset of a long-game strategy, it is easier to put the “small stuff” into perspective.
- Even the littlest steps out of our comfort zones and toward our goals, when faced with uncertainty, can result in significant and rewarding outcomes that we could never have imagined if we had never tried.
Photos taken in Morelia, Michoacán, August 4th, 2019.
Interesting Facts about Morelia, Michoacán:
- The capital city of Morelia, often called “the most Spanish city in Mexico,” is known for its stunning colonial architecture—such as the 600 year-old cathedral.
- After the Mexican War of Independence, the city was renamed Morelia in honor of José María Morelos, who hailed from the city.
- In 1991, the city was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its well-preserved historical buildings and layout of the historic center.